20 Self Care Ideas to Try Out Today + A Freebie
Self-care is a bit of a buzzword right now and for good reason. More and more information is at our fingertips about how important it is to take care of ourselves and de-stress. Whether it's a whole day or just an hour out of your busy life, self-care is an integral aspect to your overall health and wellness.
In the Wellness Planner that just launched here on EO Edits, one of the pages focuses not only on your physical wellness but also your mind and soul (yes, these are different). It's dubbed the "Wellness Roadmap" because it serves, essentially, as a list of your favorite things to do that really nourish your body, mind, and soul.
For a long time, self-care was thought to be a bit "woo woo," for lack of a better word. But it's not all meditation, essential oils, or giving yourself pep talks in the mirror. While these things are important and can definitiely be acts of self-care, I'm a big believer that self-care is whatever you want it to be as long as it makes you happy and nurtures you in some way.
I like to think of myself as a tough cookie, but I've learned that if I don't take a bit of me-time I can easily get overwhelmed, stressed, and burnt out. And once that overwhelm hits, it's too late, you start thinking about everything going on. For me, it is the combination of putting a lot of energy into my own business & career, stressing about not succeeding, not making enough money, letting others down, getting judged etc., and coming down from our amazing honeymoon in Greece. It’s not easy going against the norm, battling your way to creating your own career. You overwhelm yourself with thoughts that you should be doing more when you’re already giving it your all.
And that’s the perfect time to stop.
Step away, turn off the distractions, and come back to yourself. The first step in any act of self-care is to be gentle with yourself and show yourself some compassion. Remind yourself that you are important and you deserve a little me-time.
There are a billion ways you can practice self-care, but I thought I'd list out a few of my favorites that you maybe haven't considered before. Don't forget to grab the freebie at the end!!
1. Watch a nostalgic movie
2. Make a healthy meal plan
3. Make a list of the places you want to travel, movies to see, restaurants to eat at, books to read, etc.
4. Have friends over for a wine & cheese night (or whatever kind of night you'd like!)
5. Make your favorite drink in your favorite mug (bonus points if you curl up with a good book)
6. Try a new recipe (comfort food or healthy, you decide)
7. Make a playlist & just dance around to it for fun
8. Have breakfast for dinner
9. Give yourself a manicure & pedicure
10. Drive somewhere special and just sit and enjoy your surroundings
11. Freewrite, stream of consciousness writing, or brain dump... whatever you call it, just write
12. Cuddle with a fur baby
13. Make a DIY craft
14. Buy yourself a treat from a gourmet shop
15. Call your best friend and have a long chat
16. Go to a bookstore and just slowly wander the shelves
17. Get outside, go for a walk or bike ride and enjoy the fresh air
18. Declutter or organize something
19. Pack a picnic and watch the sunset or sunrise with a loved one
20. Hug someone
Now for the good part...the freebie!
Do you want a few more ideas for your self-care routine? Click the links below to download this gorgeous double paged self-care freebie for tons and tons of amazing ideas to take a break, indulge in a little me-time, and come back to yourself. You deserve it! Print it off and keep it in your planner. Having a go-to list like this one means you won’t have to spend any time thinking of what to do when the time is available.
Included in the freebie:
page 1- self care list
page 2 - "one of a kind" quote